Whether you’re a casual guy who prefers his T-shirts hooped and his jeans ripped, or a classy suited and booted gentleman who wouldn’t go a day without shining his shoes – the pompadour hairstyle is guaranteed to charm you.
What’s a pompadour, by definition? In simple terms – it means the hair is brushed upward from the forehead to achieve a voluminous, trendy look. While the original pompadour goes way back (Elvis rocked it pretty well), today’s pompadour hairstyles have been modernised and adapted to suit the contemporary man.
Styling a Pompadour
For those of you who are looking to create a dramatic pomp the days of waking up and being out the door are sadly long gone. You’ll need to make a little bit of effort – but once you nail these steps, you’ll get styling out of the way quickly.
- Step 1: Towel dry your clean, wet hair.
- Step 2: Use water-based high-hold pomade to slick back the sides.
- Step 3: Set a blow-dryer to medium heat. High would be preferable – but it’s bad for your hair, and we don’t want you to go bald.
- Step 4: Grab a round brush. Start brushing from the back and roll the brush backwards to push the hair upward and forward.
- Step 5: Continue this way up to the hairline, while brushing the hair forward and up at the same time as blow-drying.
- Step 6: Take a coin-sized amount of the pomade and work it through the top of your hair, to help maintain the height and shape you’ve created using a blow dryer.
- Step 7: Finish off with some strong hold hairspray. And now – ready to see the hottest pompadour styles of 2018?
#1: Medium Length Pompadour
An awesome example of a medium length pompadour. The sides aren’t too short so there isn’t much of a contrast – but we absolutely love the cool and urban look it creates.
#2. Textured Long Hair Pomp
Such a charmer, isn’t he? If you’re a man with long locks, this textured long hair pompadour will be a hairstyle you will not regret.
#3: Faded Long Hair Pomp
If you’re looking to knock people’s socks off, this beautiful faded long hair pomp will do the job. This statement look – even if it takes a little longer to style – is worth the wait.
#4. Loose Medium Length Pompadour
An awesome, looser pompadour on medium length hair. What scores most points for us is the dry matte textures – and, of course, the tremendous volume.
#5: Textured Pompadour
If you’re not into the neat look – then this textured pompadour is for you. It achieves volume – but remains casual. A great option for someone who’s looking for more of a relaxed look.
#6: Undercut with Fade Pomp
If there’s one hairstyle that perfectly achieves an edgier look – it’s the undercut. Combine an undercut with a pompadour, and you’ve got yourself the perfect balance between edgy and elegant.
#7: Elvis-Inspired Pomp
What more can we say? It’s the hairstyle of Elvis the King. Classy, sassy – and very, very cool.
#8: Short Hair Undercut Pompadour
Are you after an irresistible bad boy vibe? How about this sharp short hair pompadour? It’s cool, it’s trendy and it isn’t difficult to style. What more can you ask for?
#9: Classic Big Pomp
Now, this hairstyle is ultimately what a pompadour is all about: volume. Whoever managed to achieve this look must have a pair of nifty hands.
#10: The Curled Pompadour
Last but not least, here’s our personal favourite – the curled pompadour. If you’ve wondered whether a pompadour can only look good on straight hair – the answer is a firm ‘no’. Pompadour on curly and wavy hair looks flippin’ awesome.